Saturday, November 5, 2011

Emily Marie


It's hard to believe that our sweet little Emily Marie has been with us for nearly a week. That a week ago I was checking into the hospital with labor pains, squeezing Mike's hand in anxious anticipation of our newest daughter's arrival. That for a week we've been adoring her sleepy newborn smiles--which are frequent--enchanted with every move and noise she makes.


We've been on broadcast silence since Mike typed the big announcement from the delivery room. (I think he likes this new netbook.) But all is well. The girls just can't get enough of their new sister. They have been enthralled with her from day one. I love these pictures because they capture reactions to Emily perfectly. Maggie: [happy] "I am so proud of my sweet baby sister." Mike: [adoring] "What a little angel. She's so perfect." Kate: [intense] "Don't even try to take this baby away from me."



When I said the girls just can't get enough of Emily, I meant it. They are always hanging over her bassinet or bouncer, smothering her with hugs and kisses at every opportunity, running to her at first cry, begging for (at times fighting for) chances to hold her, and dropping her trinkets when she is sleeping (hence, the jack o'lantern next to her in the sleepy smile shot--they give that to her all the time--and the pacifier, baby and burp cloth in the shot below). Mike told me the first night after Emily was born, Maggie prayed for Emily to sleep through the night quickly so that she can move to the crib in their room. And Kate is Emily's self-appointed morning greeter (she heads to Emily's bedside first thing, calling "Hi Ehm-ly!") and is the most willing diaper fetcher you'll find.



And as for Emily. She takes it all lying down. I think she is the sleepiest baby I've had so far, which makes for easy cuddling. She spends most of her time sleeping, nursing and hiccuping, with the occasional staring spell or cry of discomfort.

I am still in disbelief that I really had a baby early. Maggie was one week late and Kate five days, so I didn't know I could go into labor without (a) passing my due date and (b) a good cry and prayer of desperation. The first hour of suspected labor was passed throwing together my hospital bag and pulling out the baby bin. (I know, I know...I had committed to do that already. What can I say?) And after that it was pretty smooth sailing. Called Mike's mom. Put kids to bed. Drove to hospital. Two hours later, baby in arms. And I thought my first two recoveries were pretty good, but this one has been the best yet. I didn't realize how uncomfortable I had been getting while pregnant until I wasn't anymore. Besides being a bit sore and tired from nightwakings, I am feeling just about back to myself.

Yep. I am a happy mama, with the three sweetest girls in the world. Mike took off the whole week to be home with me and the girls as we all enjoyed and adjusted to our new arrival. This evening, I was sitting on the couch after dinner, nursing Emily and watching my wonderful husband dancing around the living room with Maggie and Kate to She&Him. I couldn't help wishing that time would just stop. Or at least slow down. This is so nice. Life is so good. We are so blessed. For a moment, all is right in the world.


We love you sweet Emily! I still can't believe you are here. It is incredibly fun that my due date is tomorrow, when I'll have already enjoyed loving you a full week. Thanks for being here and thanks for being ours. Xoxo, Mom

7 comments:

Nate and Julie said...

Congrats once again! She is beautiful. I think she looks a lot like Maggie in that first picture. Yay for babies!

Elizabeth said...

lovelovelove. I love you and Emily and I am excited to meet her! All of these photos are so sweet. Congratulations again, cousin!

The Mama said...

Cute name! And what a sweet baby she sounds like! I am so happy for you. You have the cutest little girls.:)

Jamie Meacham said...

What a beautiful family Sarah! Congrats on baby Emily. So excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you and your family. I can't believe you feel so good so fast. She is a doll. Give her extra hugs and kisses from us!

Abby said...

Congrats! She is beautiful, just like her sisters!

rach said...

This is such a sweet post! You have such a beautiful family- I love how loving your girls are to thier new baby sister! Congrats on your new arrival!