Monday, January 31, 2011

What Went Right

One month ago we were in Utah at the marriage and sealing of this lovely couple.



Mike's brother Scot and his bride Tara.



That day was the only one on which none of us were sick during our whole trip. Poor Maggie ended up with some sort of flu and was throwing up from the night we got to Utah (Tuesday, the 28th, our fourth wedding anniversary) until Thursday (the day before New Year's Eve/the wedding). Then Saturday, Mike rung in the new year with a 24-hour stomach bug that next went to Maggie (who had about had it with being sick to her stomach), to me, and, just when we thought she had missed it, to Kate. Not to mention, Kate managed to get some sort of cold that left her with a runny nose and made it all red around her eye. We were not the picture of perfect health. Needless to say, we didn't get to do a lot of the things we had hoped to do during our trip. But since we are focusing on what went right, luckily, no one else got sick (except poor Tasi, after we left :( ). One of my worst fears is that poor Tara or Scot would be sick for their wedding day because of us. Then it would have been, "Remember that time Scot and Tara got married and Mike and Sarah came and got everyone sick."






We managed to have a lot of fun. Amazingly, the eighteen-hour drive went smoothly both ways. We hit the weather just right. The girls were perfect and we were able to do it in one shot each way, only stopping for bathroom breaks and fuel. We arrived on December 28th, our anniversary (4 years baby!), and enjoyed staying with my wonderful sister-in-law Kathy. She watched the girls for us so we could go out to dinner at our old Thai place to celebrate. We got our standards (green curry beef and cashew chicken) and it was delicious as ever. The atmosphere leaves something to be desired, but I haven't tried green curry that I liked as well since I left Utah, and we did enjoy some good people-watching: there were some old college roommates having a belated holiday gift exchange, former mission companions reuniting accompanied by their new wives, and a group of roommates having a guys night out. We weren't brave enough to ask someone to take a picture of us together inside, so we took pictures of each other by the sign.

We miss living near Kathy and her awesome kids. Tasi, Sabrina, and Ryan are some of the nicest teenagers you'll meet and were so sweet to keep my little girls entertained. They also tried to teach me to play Rock Band, but I think I need some more practice. From the picture it is obvious that I just wasn't pouring as much concentration into my music as the other players, so that was probably the problem.

And like I said, we were so blessed to be healthy and able to go to the wedding. I love attending weddings, especially temple marriages. There is nothing as sweet as being sealed to your sweetheart and dreaming of your coming life together. I love reliving my own wedding every time I am privileged to attend someone else's. I love the spirit that can be felt as the bride and groom receive counsel and are married for time and eternity. Weddings make me smile. The following luncheon was delicious and the reception classy. Tara and her sisters did a beautiful job: the decorations were gorgeous and the food appealing to both the eye and stomach. Thanks for letting us share your special day Scot and Tara!

Here are some pictures: the handsome Gotfredson boys (5/7 of them), Mike's family at the wedding, and some reception shots. Sadly, I didn't get many pictures of some of the other fun things we did with Mike's family: our girls' shopping trip, New Year's celebrations (well, I do have a good shot of Ryan's war wounds, but I don't know if he wants his body-builder picture up here) and just hanging out and eating yummy food (Kathy fed us well).







And we got better just in time to make a short jaunt down to BYU to see my sister Catherine and my cousins Elizabeth and Emily and meet their friend Caroline, who was also very cool. We got to hang out at Taylor Hall (my old home) and eat at the Cannon Center. I felt like a freshman again, except for the husband and two kids. And the fact that the Cannon Center was remodeled and felt more like the food court of an upscale mall, rather than the cafeteria of my former dorms. But Mike and I agreed the food was the same. Definitely good, if not five-star. And I would like to say that we left the Cannon Center without anyone getting sick, but poor Maggie. Her gag reflex was still ultra-sensitive I guess.


I love and miss you Cat (and Emily and Lizzy)! Thanks for enduring the risk of infectious disease to see us!!!



5 comments:

Katie said...

Sorry you were so sick when you came out! So, I have to tell you that I think your new sister-in-law's sister is in my ward! Such a small world. A few weeks ago I saw that you were tagged on FB in an album, so I clicked to see. As I started clicking through a couple from my ward - the Cranes- started to show up in the pictures too!

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad we got to see you while you were here!! And I'm glad everyone is feeling better...being sick is no good.

Emily said...

so glad you found us. you're family is so beautiful

Catherine said...

Thanks for including us in your post! I wish everything could have gone right but I am grateful for the things that did go right! Especially the adventure to see me. Thank you! I miss you all!
xoxo

Catherine said...

ps you and mike look adorable in your matching Thai pictures. I think it was cuter that way. :)