Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Looking at Fish and Other Simple Pleasures

Today was a nice day.

Mike tucked me back into bed while he was getting ready to leave for seminary. I let him because that Emily-girl was up in the night and I was holding her hand for nearly an hour. Through the bars of her crib. In the cold, dark night without a sweater. I know I should tell her to grow up all ready, but it's nice to be needed. And it really is nice to be tucked in.


Emily woke while he was gone, but I tricked her into going back to sleep next to me until 8:30. It's kind of sweet once in a while to wake up next to a warm Emily. Really sweet. So I enjoyed it and we had a lazy morning.

The girls and I spent a good long time at W-lm-rt* looking at the fish and buying a few necessities.


Kate played with my hair while I was wasting a few minutes on the computer and whispered sweet nothings like, "I like your hair" and "You're so pretty, Mommy." So are you Kate, so are you.

Maggie sang me praises at dinner: "I love the yummy sandwiches because they have meat on them." "Can I have more of these delicious potatoes?" and "You always make the best dinners, Mom." I do, don't I? Except the days I don't make them...

I even got three hours to myself to meet with the lovely ladies at church and discuss food storage and upcoming Primary events. I should assess how we are doing on the water supply. Apparently a two-week supply for five people is a mere 70 gallons.

All this more than made up for the fact that we missed story time (and we are religious about it) and I forgot my wallet at home when I was at said store and didn't realize until we were checking out, which meant dragging the kids in and out of the car an extra time while we ran home for it.

*Besides the fact that I like Target better (doesn't everybody?), I grew up in a Price Club/Costco family. Price Club was the original membership club and eventually merged with Costco, who was started by some guys that left Price Club to start their own warehouse store. My dad has managed for Costco since it's Price Club days, thus I always hesitate to admit that I frequent a competitor (Walmart owns Sam's Club) as it makes him (and me) a tad uncomfortable. But hey, I live in a small town in the mid-West. I have to hit it about once a month. And I must admit, it has grown on me. Ours rarely have the lines most are famous for. But don't worry. We hit Costco too.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm glad I'm not the only mother who lets all three kiddos ride in the same shopping cart! I hope little Emily feels better soon.