Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Halloween 2012


Yes, we celebrated Halloween. Do you still care? We had two princesses and a fairy. The older girls decided early that they wanted to be princesses--Ariel and Belle respectively. I decided early to buy costumes for the first time to circumvent any crazy, last-minute ideas I might have of making or putting them together. Especially as the image of the darling Ariel costume my darling mother made five-year-old me kept popping to mind. I just needed to keep it simple for my sanity because the last year has been busy, busy and I am still recovering time-management-wise from adding our third little girl. (Although, I struggled with time-management before I ever had children, if anything, having children has increased my productivity, even if it sometimes doesn't feel like it.) We had many opportunities to enjoy our costumes throughout the month both for party and play and I was glad many times over that I had taken the easy road this time around. Emily kept with the Disney theme as Tinkerbell, with some wings and a tutu we already had on hand.

In hindsight, even though I didn't manage to get any good pictures of the girls in their costumes on Halloween (or any of the parties preceding--church, library), I should have just posted this one of the girls in action and called it good.


But for memory's (aka future photo album's) sake and for extra practice with my camera, I knew I wanted to get a couple better ones and since I was going to take them anyway, I waited to post about Halloween until I did. Of course it took me a couple days to get around to it and another while to get them uploaded, add a few days for good measure, since my procrastination was now in full force. Silly Sarah. When will I learn?

We really did have a fun time though. Mike had class, so the girls and I trick-or-treated around town square and then visited with a few of our neighbors, including our local adopted grandparents Ed and Iris. It's always like Halloween when we visit there, meaning they always give the girls candy, so you can guess the girls like to go there as often as possible. One day last year, Maggie told me, "We need to go to Iris's house because she has better candy than you."




We got ourselves to our local pumpkin patch on Emy's birthday (the 29th) and spent family night picking and carving pumpkins. The girls were so cute. Kate found her pumpkin right away and toted it the whole time. Maggie kept running in search for "the perfect pumpkin" and several times announced she had found it. And Emily enjoyed the whole experience. This year we carved Huckle (from Richard Scarry's Busytown Mysteries) for Kate, Hello Kitty for Maggie, and the Y-emblem for our alma mater BYU. Next year when Mike is done, we may do KU.
 

2 comments:

Nate and Julie said...

I love Halloween so it's never too late for a Halloween post. Your girls are so cute and Emily is getting so big! 1 already?! Keep up the good work busy mama. Miss you!

Jolynn said...

Well you beat me with my halloween post! Haha... Seriously, they are the cutest princesses & fairy!