Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rethinking Sleep

I love to sleep.

Now that I am grown, I appreciate it more than I did as a kid.

I have also been blessed, so far, without sleep problems. My family was never crazy strict about the eight-hour block, so I used it as a guideline, but often read until tired and by high school I always had homework or projects or activities to keep me busy until I was ready to crawl into bed and pass out.

Even now, if I feel antsy when I am trying to fall asleep, I make a list or do a project until I am so bone-tired I have no choice. And I have come to the conclusion I do best with a good six- or seven-hour stretch and then a good hour-plus nap in the early afternoon. Of course, these days, I don't always get that, but that's the aim.

Anyway, as someone who is a little flexible about my sleep time, I found this NY Times article fascinating.

Basically, it starts off by mentioning how many of us are chronically sleep-deprived, in part due to technology. But it goes on to say the rigidity of the eight-hour block is relatively new and that many past and present nations were not that into it. Sometimes, trying too hard to stick to the eight-hour block creates sleep problems and anxiety. I liked when it mentioned how one sleep study done in the nineties found that well-rested people naturally wake for a little while at some point in the night and begin to enjoy the alone time for solitude, contemplation or "amorous activity." It reminds me that when I was little I loved to wake up in the middle of the night or early in the morning and think or read or work on homework when everyone else was still and I had few distractions. It helped me find alone time, because I'm too much of a people-person to make my alone time when I could be hanging out with family or friends. I still find myself using an occasional wakeful night to get something done while the kids are abed. Also, I have definitely noticed how sleep helps your brain hone skills or solve problems. I have practiced a music piece, then slept on it or taken a nap and found it so much easier the next day.

That said, I do think the eight-hour block is a good rule as it allows for wind-down time, reading or talking before bed. I have trouble jumping from lots of activity straight to sleep.  Anyway, here's hoping America will institute the siesta!

Thank goodness for facebook, or I would never see important news like this.

Other recent news for which I can thank fellow facebookers include articles on the newest addition to the Panda family at the DC Zoo, the switch from the "Elmo's World" segment to "Elmo the Musical" on Sesame Street, and Michael Phelps meeting with long-time idol Michael Jordan. Important stuff, people.

3 comments:

Nate and Julie said...

This makes me laugh because
1. I was always impressed by your sleeping habits in college and a little jealous that you could function on so little.
2. I read all of those same facebook articles because apparently I needed more drama in my life.
I miss you!

Lauren VanDerwerken said...

the panda cub actually passed away! :( but I'm all for the siesta!

Glenn and Natalie said...

I think it is not unusual at all that a mother of 3 young girls was drawn to read an article about sleep! ;) I have also found the value of getting enough rest the older I get. I still stay up with projects sometimes and am very tired...we'll see if I feel less need to stay up all night for alone time as my kids get older...