Thursday, February 23, 2012

Three Months and Counting



When I started this post, little Em was closer to three than four months, but now she's only got a week left until four. I've gotta admit, it's kind of depressing. I still think of her as my new baby. Does it go faster every time?



Emily is doing everything she should and is the most pleasant baby in the world. Her eyes have lightened a bit and are a beautiful shade of blue; her hair is taking it's time. Sometimes it is a full-time job to protect her, but she is very good-natured about all the prodding and poking she receives at the hands of her older sisters, all in love of course. When she was still weeks old, I found Maggie curled up in the bassinet, practically on top of her. (Me: "What are you doing?!" Maggie: "I just wanted to take a nap with Emy.") She survived a couple stray dry beans from a bean sensory box I keep in the kitchen. (Me: "What did you just give her?" Kate, proudly: "Bean." Me: "You did?!" Sure enough, it went all the way through without incident.) And she was unscathed when Maggie carried her to me when I was in the bathroom. (Me: "Aaaah! You aren't supposed to pick up your sister. Maggie: "But she just wanted you.")



She has a mighty stare-down and has added hand-clasping, fist-sucking, toy-holding, blanket-tussling, and rolling to her side to her repertoire of talents. Her engaging smiles melt my heart and stop me in my tracks for a five-minute smile and cooing convo--I'd take baby-smiling over starting dinner any old day of the week. She started laughing just after she turned three months; she still giggles rather sparingly, but when she gets started it is too cute. Mike and Maggie heard her first chuckles (unless you count the sleeping ones when she was newborn) and Maggie seems to be the best at making her giggle, though Kate got a few good laughs out of her the other day.



Oh yeah, as for sleeping, in the past week or two she has started to sleep quite well and has had several nights where she slept ten or eleven hours straight. She probably has taken the longest to begin to sleep all the way through the night, but I haven't been very focused on it. I've been more preoccupied with another one's sleeping habits (ahem, Kate). Luckily, she too is doing better.

Emily has had a good five- or six-hour stretch down for a while and she is so pleasant it's not really a big deal to wake up with her. After I feed her, I can just put her back in bed awake and she is usually fine. When I've gotten really run down and exhausted I've just gone ahead and nursed her in bed so I could catch up on sleep. I had to do that some when Kate was teething too and have done it with all of them occasionally to catch an extra hour in the morning or during a nap, so it was nothing too new. I don't sleep as well, but I do so love cuddle-time with my baby. I have the sweetest babies.



Oh Emily, your coos, gurgles, growls, and laughs are all music to my ears. You don't cry much, but when you do that's sweet too. I love watching you watch your bears and butterflies or play with your hands. I can't walk by you without giving you a squeeze and kissing your head and getting one of your special smiles or looks. I love having you grasp my fingers and holding your soft feet. Your spit bubbles are the cutest and you still love the bath. It's fun that your interests are starting to branch out from people's faces and mobiles to rattles and crinkly objects. I love when you fall asleep in my arms--it's hard to put you down and sometimes I don't even when I should. Please slow down and let me enjoy it all. I love you!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sarah, Emily is so sweet! (Of course, Maggie and Kate are, too.) I know what you mean about the time going so fast. I wish it would slow down sometimes!