Friday, June 24, 2011

Field Trips

Between morning sickness and the exhaustion of the first trimester and trying to put any newfound energy this trimester to catching up on household projects and enjoying time with my family, I have neglected recording many of our comings and goings. Over the coming week I intend to get some of our favorite memories of the spring recorded, so get ready to tune in or tune out, depending on your interest in the trivial events of our lives. :)

Over the past few months, I have started doing some little at-home preschool activities with Maggie and we went on several fun field trips with friends.

We visited the Kansas City Zoo for the first time in March. Maggie loved seeing the animals from a safe distance (she is not super brave around animals...takes after her parents that way). The polar bear was swimming around close to the window when we saw him. Maggie loved to be right up to the window, until he swam by. Then she would back away, turning her face into my legs. I just love that little girl. Kate loved to point and laugh at the animals too. And they enjoyed stroller-hopping between my double-stroller and their friends'. It was a beautiful, hot day, out of place in our cool and dreary spring. By the time we took that picture together before we left, we were rather warm and sticky, but were glad to have gotten some time outdoors. Maggie kept asking if we could go swimming like the polar bears. Economically, it ended up being a perfect time to go too because both the girls were under three and free. And my ticket was half-price because part of the zoo was closed, but the portion that was open was more than enough for us. I know the trip was a huge success in Maggie's eyes because the next week, she put on the same dress she wore to the zoo and said, "I'm ready to go to the zoo again!" She was rather disappointed when that didn't play out as she'd hoped.



In April we were able to visit a children's museum in the area called Wonderscope. The girls loved it and I really want to take them back again. It's an old school and all the rooms are transformed into different stations: These include a farm-to-grocery discovery zone, ramps and slides for tots, a water play area, an art room, a large room with ball ramps and shoots, and a lego creation area. Both girls loved the water play and ramp room. Maggie could have stayed in the art room, painting glue all day. And Kate was adorable with one of the kid-sized, metal grocery cart. She wanted to take it exploring all over the museum with her. For a while I let her, but then we finally hit some stairs. She was devastated when I wouldn't let her try to take it down them.



Our May trip was to a children's farmstead and petting zoo with some friends. We visited back a few weeks later with Mike. Kate was so cute with the goats both times. I wished I could have gotten her on video. (We tried, but it didn't really come out. It's so hard to catch those cute moments.) She was so excited by them she kept waving her arms and laughing. She wanted to feed them, but then would chicken out right as she held the food up to the goat and would pull it back again and give it to me, preferring to live vicariously. After the goat took the food from me she would giggle and gasp with this cute little "oh" face. Finally, on our second trip, she got up the courage and fed a few herself. I love Kate's adventurous, fun-loving spirit.

1 comment:

Jolynn said...

You are so cute and do such fun things with your girls! I loved your post about the marshmallows. It can be so hard to focus on what you have. But it is so true that what you have now will someday be gone, and you will miss it!