Monday, April 12, 2010

Thwarted

So, today I went to Wal-mart to give them money. As in they undercharged me when I was exchanging some items there last week and I realized it when I got home and wanted to set things right. After all, as my mother always says, "If you're going to be dishonest, make it something big" (or something to that effect). I didn't want ten dollars on my conscience, even if it wasn't my fault.

I brought my receipt to the lady at the customer service desk and tried to explain.

"I believe I was undercharged last time I came in. You see I returned three items, but on this receipt it shows I was given credit for five items. See these two I shouldn't have been credited for."

"Yeah, but then you were charged for them. So that cancels out the credit."

"Right, but that's the problem. I was never charged for it. The extra credit was canceled out, but I never paid for the item which I did receive."

"No, it's all right. You don't owe any money."

"No, I'm pretty sure I do. You see I was credited $44.61 (before tax), but my returns only came to about $35." [I had checked at home when things didn't seem right with the transaction.]

"Well, I guess I can charge you if you want, but you don't owe anything. She voided those other returns out." She was getting a bit snippy with me now, so I started to feel unsure. Maybe I was wrong.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, you're fine."

I walked away, looking at my reciept, wondering how I could have been wrong. A few minutes later I began feeling indignant and was sure (again) that I was right. But I felt too dumb to go back.

So, I stole some cups to spite them. Just kidding. When I was checking out they had rolled under Kate's carseat, so when I was loading things into the car I realized I hadn't been charged for them and had to run them back in. It was just funny to have yet another opportunity to mar my character at Wal-mart.

Just so you all know, I should have only been credited $33.70 (or $36.33 with tax--I figured it out on a calculator, when I got home.) Maybe if I'm feeling self-righteous next time I'm in Wal-mart I will try to argue them their money back again. For the meantime, I'll try to ignore the guilty conscience and enjoy feeling ten dollars richer. (I think I have read one too many Friend magazine stories growing up.)

My other moral dilemma right now is that apparently I am (or rather Sarah Wanlass is) wanted in New York for not appearing for jury duty even though (1) I have not lived there for over five years, (2) my name has not been Sarah Wanlass for a little over three years, and (3) I never was forwarded any of the juror questionnaires I "failed to respond" to, just this juror subpoena several months after I was supposed to appear. The subpoena threatens a "$250 fine and/or imprisonment" for failure to appear, so I feel like I am living on the edge. I went through the trouble of looking up their number online and tried to call them to rectify the situation, but kept missing them. When I finally got ahold of someone to tell them I lived somewhere else she told me to mail proof of residency (like a utility bill) from my new residence. But after we hung up, I remembered I forgot to tell her about my name change problem and there is no way I feel comfortable mailing a copy of my marriage certificate, which is I think the only name change proof they will accept. I guess I better stay out of New York, huh? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

In other news, Kate had her four-month well child today and "has very strong trunk development" according to the doctor and the apple blossoms from the trees we planted last year are out and looking beautiful. Mike had to prune a few branches, so I got to put them in my vases to dress up my front room and kitchen. Yay! Also, I have given up on trying to dress up the table with placemats. Maggie keeps using them to pull everyone's food towards her. And since you mainly come for the pictures, here are some cute ones:

8 comments:

Jamie Meacham said...

Way to be so honest, I think I would have been too lazy to go back to give money back (not that I wouldn't want to be honest.) You make me laugh, way to be so good! What a great example! Don't feel bad, it's their fault for not believing you !

Nate and Julie said...

I love you Sarah Wanless, Gotfredson, whoever you are. Your stories always make me smile as only a Sarah story can. (It's a good thing I promise.) Miss you!

Jenn said...

I received Jury duty summons here in Kansas for Florida. I simply called them and explained that my husband was in the military and that we weren't living in FL anymore. I had to send proof of his orders (the form from the government sending Kevin to KS), but I am not permanently exempt from Jury in Leon County, FL. As to the name change issue, well, I'm not sure of that. Can you send them a copy of your SSC showing your name change or a copy of your Driver's License with a note explaining the name change?

Jolynn said...

I just caught up a little on your blog... your girls are darling! So fun to have little girls to dress matching! It sounds like you are doing great!

The Mama said...

I had to laugh at your story Sarah, the same thing happened to me once. Only I had left the store with a big bag of paper towels that they hadn't charged me for. Like you I felt terrible, and the next time I was there I insisted that they charge me for them. I felt so much better. Sorry that yours didn't turn out so good. :) Love the Easter pics too, such beautiful girls!

Natalie said...

I accidentally stole a bottle of baby lotion and a bottle of baby wash last time I was at Target. They were snuggled on either side of Austin in his car seat...oops. Kevin tried to call them when I got home and discovered it to see if they could charge his card over the phone. He wanted to take care of it ASAP, I guess. They didn't have a way to charge him, and I still haven't been back to Target yet, so my conscience is burdened as well.=)

Rachel said...

Way to be honest. The pic of Maggie and the flowers is so cute.

To answer your question from the other day, Wal-mart brought us to Arkansas. Craig works at the corporate headquarters and I did for several years before Eva was born. So, it's a good thing you were honest at Wal-mart. I just might have to report you to some connections I have there...ha ha

Jenny said...

Oh Sarah, I love you! You are so good...and that is a good thing! I don't know how you do all you do, but somehow you get it done, and when it isn't all done (I've seen your "To Do" lists before!) then you do what is most important. You are a good example!