Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Did I Mention?

I love my life. I really do.

As a six-year-old I got a baby doll for Christmas. I carried it and a fully loaded diaper bag every where we went for at least the next year.

When I was in my mid-teens I would always look at the young families at church and dream of the day I was in their shoes. That's not to say I didn't enjoy being a teenager...I did. But I also hated it. You know how it goes. Always looking forward to the next step.

In college, my favorite class was one I took my freshman year called Parenting and Child Guidance that I had to take as a prerequisite for the Early Childhood program. I cried more in that class than in any other simply because I saw what a beautiful opportunity parenting could be, especially with the principles of the restored gospel. I just couldn't wait.

Now, I am a young mother myself. I have two small babies, ages one and none. I have a wonderful husband who is so good and patient with me and who is a better father and provider than I ever imagined he'd be (and I thought he'd be a good one). I have a little house in a small town and am loving making it my own. And I have a lot of love. It's not perfect. Anyone who knows me well knows I have a wish list a mile long; probably at the top of it is wishing my family was nearer. But it's better than I ever anticipated. You might say my dreams are coming true, day by day, moment by moment.

That's not to say I don't have any nightmares. If you saw me yesterday looking frazzled as I loaded my two small children, carseats, sixty-odd fresh-baked crescent rolls, diaper bag, music, and table activity in my dear neighbor's car for a church activity I was both helping to orchestrate and performing at, while my husband was at an evening meeting for work with our only car, you'd probably wonder if I wasn't in over my head. And maybe I am. But most of the time, I don't think so.

By the way, the Relief Society Anniversary Celebration (Relief Society is our women's organization in my church) I was helping with went well and my performance was I hope decent. I sang a solo version of this song, "May I Serve Thee," which I really think is beautiful. And thank goodness for my amazing friend Sarah that played for me last minute. The biggest disappointment of the night was I realized I never got to put on any make-up. (I don't usually put on much, but mascara is to me what lipstick was to my wonderful Grandma Mayse.) So I put on some mascara before bed. I felt a tiny bit better.

I spent some time earlier today browsing this blog that I saw recommended by a friend. It made me really reflect throughout the day on things I have learned (and am still learning) since being married and becoming a parent and also think more about things I am still figuring out. (A post or posts on what some of these lessons are is forthcoming, if anyone cares, but this post was getting ridiculously long.)

I then proceeded to waste my precious children's nap time, when I could have been productive or gotten a much desired nap, continuing to browse the internet and getting excited about all kinds of do it yourself projects to beautify my home. It a recent hobby (read: obsession).

Then tonight I was rocking my sweet baby Maggie before I put her to bed. (I can still call her baby, right? She's not two yet.) I was singing her songs and after each she would say "moh?" (more) in her sweet little voice. And I was just thinking how wonderful life is. I LOVE being a wife and mother. There is nothing better than this. I'm learning and growing so much, though I sometimes don't feel like it. I just wish time would slow down. My little girls are growing too fast and I want to enjoy every minute.

And as an added bonus to a happy day, tonight as Mike and I were enjoying a fifteen minute date of planting flowers in my new flower pots (that are so cute by the way), we found the keys I have been looking for the past week. And finding my keys was actually an item on my to-do list today. Mission accomplished.

If any of you are wondering, the keys were in this little pocket bag I keep seed packets in that happened to be hanging on the door to the garage. Definitely a Maggie-doing.

3 comments:

Nate and Julie said...

Thank you for sharing all of this. It makes me appreciate my life and my little Clara as well. Life is busy as a mom (as I waste away her nap time blogging) but it is so worth it!!! I wish we lived closer and had each other to lean on more, but it's nice to be able to connect and understand each other's joys and woes through blogs. That is why this is not time wasted, but time replenishing myself...or at least that's how I rationalize it. Miss you!

{Mostly Jenn} said...

Sarah, youre an inspiration!!

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

agreed 110 percent! Motherhood is stressful and sometimes extremely difficult... but OH SO AMAZING!!