I love conference weekend. It's so relaxing and seems to have a renewing effect. It's a good time to think and evaluate where you are and where you want to be. There were many wonderful talks that seemed to touch on topics that have been on my mind a lot.
Elder Hales gave a wonderful and timely talk about being "provident providers" for ourselves and our families, "controling our wants," and "joyfully living within our means." But I loved his tone. Rather than rebuking or chastizing those of us with problems of debt or addictions, many caused by poor decision-making on our own part, his was a message of hope. He talked of how no problem is beyond the reach of our Savior's power to save. Even when our problems are caused by our own poor choices, we can seek help to overcome through the atonement of Christ and through him our trials can serve to bless and strengthen us. He spoke of two important lessons for all of us: (1) "We can't afford it, even though we want it." (2) "We can afford it, but we don't need it."
His message is similar to that of this SNL skit that I found on my cousin's blog last week: http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/saturday-night-live-dont-buy-stuff.
But seriously, what struck me is how important the message of this talk is for all of us. Many of us have struggled with the challenge of monetary debt. Others of us have seen others go through it. It a trial that enslaves and degrades those who suffer from it. The same can be said for addiction. However, even if we have not experienced some of these worldly challenges firsthand, we still can take action: We can more diligently apply the lessons of Elder Hale's talk so that we do not fall victim in the future and we can strive to help and strengthen our fellow brothers and sisters who are struggling with these problems and refrain from criticism or judgement. After all, we all are "unprofitable servants" (see Mosiah 2:21 and Luke 17:10) and eternally endebted to our Savior for all he has done in our behalf. We do not want to be the servant who was forgiven his debts, yet dealt harshly with his fellowservant (see Matthew 18:23-35).
Another talk I really loved was by Elder Kevin W. Pearson of the Seventy. He spoke of faith and fear. His words really touched me because although I feel that I have a lot of faith in my Savior, I am also at times a fearful person. I fear for safety, health, and financial stability for myself and my family and . This always has concerned me, for I know that faith and fear are opposites and cannot coexist. I appreciated his distinction that although at times we may have fears, we can have enough faith to overcome our fears. Thus it is like a net effect: faith-fear=net faith. We want to make certain that our net faith is not 'in the red.' Faith is a gift that we can pray for with diligence, qualify for with obedience, and be given as a gift from our Lord. When we do this we can overcome our fears and live with peace despite trials.
Elder Steven E. Snow, also of the Seventy, spoke of "get[ting] on with our lives" and embracing change rather than putting it off. Change is difficult, but it is necessary in our lives and will help us to grow and develop. As we (1)follow the prophet and our leaders, (2)keep an eternal perspective, (3)have faith (for without it we cannot have hope), and (4)be of good cheer (even in the face of challenges), we will be prepared for change in our lives.
Well, I could probably go on all day, but I'll let you review conference yourself. Click here for a quick link: CONFERENCE. And for my wonderful friends who aren't Mormon. Click on it anyway. There's some good stuff on there and then you can see what I do on my weekends twice a year. :) Or if you want to get to different talks quickly and listen to them as MP3 or watch them as a video or read them as text (though I think some of these options are not yet uploaded, but will be soon) you can click here.
Suffice it to say, I am grateful for a prophet and apostles in these days and the inspired words of guidance and direction they provide. I know President Monson is a prophet of God; he loves and cares for all of God's children in the church and out of it. I know my Savior lives and because of him all mankind can have hope in the future and can reach their utmost potential.
P.S. And good news: our most recent round of online purchases went very well, excepting the suit Mike bought which fit, but they ran out of the pants, so it's just a jacket. We'll have to take that back. But we love our bench! It worked out perfectly. We know you were all wondering. Now hopefully we can take a break from shopping for a while, since our NEEDS are taken care of. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment