Monday, October 8, 2012

Conference Comes Again

I have posted before about how much I love "Conference," that is the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, held every six months. (You can watch it here.) Conference always seems to come when I need a boost. The words of our modern prophets and apostles fill me with renewed determination to do right and live righteously. Each new Conference brings to my recollection good feelings and thoughts from Conferences past. I think of times when my mind and heart felt peace or glimmers of understanding of God's plan for me. I remember delicious eats made and eaten with family or friends during or around Conference. And I always recall going to Conference. Whether as a child with my family, eating BLT sandwiches between sessions. (Thanks, Mom!) Or as a teen at home on the couch, after we got the satellite. Or at the church when my dad had to set it up, nodding off towards the end from perpetual seminary tiredness. Or in college with friends at the dorms or our apartments. Or, best of all, at the Conference Center in person. It is a feeling like none other to be gathered with that many Saints who all believe in Christ and the restoration of His priesthood upon the earth.

Here is a picture of Mike and me at Conference when we were engaged. Six years ago!

Ain't it a beauty? I guess the guy that took it thought we wanted mostly the temple in the picture. I maybe should have asked a  woman. (Doesn't it seem that guys always think you want the background and girls are about the portraits?) Anyway, I still love it. It was a special day because I had been wishing we could go to Conference and then out of nowhere, Mike found tickets and made it happen. He's always been pretty good at that wish-granting thing.

This year, we watched at home on Saturday and planned to watch with Mike's family on Sunday. Unfortunately, Emily woke up with a fever (we hope from her newest tooth), so as a precaution I stayed home with her. At first I was a little disappointed, but it was nice to have a little alone time with my precious baby. And I baked and ate some yummy cinnamon rolls and pumpkin cookies and had no problem with any scorching this time! (If you remember, I wasn't so lucky in the spring.)

Without further ado, a few thoughts I wanted to record...
- Aaaaah! So excited about the new mission age options...and, yes, a bit jealous I wasn't born about seven years later. I wanted to go on a mission sooo bad when I was eighteen-nineteen. For those of you who may not have tuned in, President Monson announced that prospective missionaries can now be recommended at eighteen for young men and nineteen for young women, rather than the former age requirements of nineteen and twenty-one respectively. I can't wait to serve a mission with Mike someday.
- What a tender talk Elder Bowen gave. What a heart-wrenching experience to lose a child and how brave to share his process of coming to terms with the guilt, pain and anger. I loved his conclusion: We are lucky to have the capacity to feel sorrow at the passing of a loved one. How awful it would be if we could not.
- President Uchtdorf has a wonderful way with words. I loved his run-down of the various regrets people experience at the end of their lives (not spending time with loved ones, not being their best selves, and not letting themselves be content) and the perfect prevention: We can avoid the regrets of tomorrow by following our Savior today!
- I couldn't agree with Elder Perry more: Strong families are the best protection and foundation for stability and success. I hope to make mine as strong as I can.
- Elder Ballard encouraged us to pray for opportunities to serve others. I know I am grateful for the times I do. Serving helps me forget I am drowning in housework and cute children's demands! :)
- Elder Anderson is right. We all have trials of faith, even though we may not see others. But these times of pain or difficulty bring us increased faith.
-  Loved Elder Oaks standing up for the rights of children which are too often overlooked in our society. I feel so passionately about this. If we want to better society, one of the best ways to do it is to better invest in our children. Protect them from evil. Teach them truth. And give them the attention they crave. Not give in to every demand, but try to figure out what they really need. Children deserve to be raised in a loving, supportive environment by a father and mother who love them and each other. Obviously, we don't live in a perfect world and this can't always be the case. But that doesn't mean that it shouldn't remain the ideal.
- President Eyring made me reflect: What "pavillions" are obstructing my communication with my Heavenly Father and preventing me from getting answers and heavenly assistance I need and want? My attitude? My stubborness? My timetable?
- And I loved reflecting on the experience of the eleven disciples after Jesus' death with both Elder Holland and Elder Hales.
- Elder Scott renewed my desire to do some family history work of my own.
- I just want to be perfectly converted. To love and care for all those around me more perfectly and choose more wisely. To have my heart changed, and when necessary changed again, through Christ and his infinite atonement. Thanks Elder Bednar, Elder Hales and more for your reminders.

Yes, Conference was inspiring. And I still have to peek at the Priesthood session to see what gems they got. I sure appreciated the counsel we received as Relief Society sisters. (Loved the quote you shared, Rebecca.)

If you can only watch or listen to five minutes, I highly, highly recommend Elder Holland's talk. It was so, so powerful. His telling of the resurrected Lord's appearance to Peter and his fellow fishermen disciples is perfectly eloquent. And I love the message.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

We missed you on Sunday. I'd have to say that Elder Oaks' talk on children was my favorite. It really made me sit up and listen. I also found it interesting that Elders Holland and Hales gave such similar talks. It is so rare for general authorities to use the same story, let alone give the same talk. I think we all need to really study those talks because the message must be super important for us to hear it twice.

Jolynn said...

I came away with similar observations and thoughts. Definitely a great conference.. although I knew it would be! Thanks for writing down your thoughts!

The Mama said...

I was lazy this conference and did not write down thoughts in a journal. Reading yours, now I wish I did! Thanks for sharing.:)