Some of my favorite moments are when I am declared to be the "best mom ever" by my own. It happens fairly frequently.
For instance, one day, a couple weeks ago, Kate was napping and I was nursing Emily when I heard a crash, then running, then crying. I rushed out, worried I might find injury, but found only a tear-faced Maggie with powdered sugar in her hair. After dusting some brownies and sending them off with salad and breadsticks in a joint meal effort for a fellow church member, I had not yet put away the powdered sugar. Now, a large amount of it was on the floor with an upside-down brownie pan.
Maggie tried to choke out her version of what happened between sobs. I tried to comfort her and forget the fact that I was about to spend a lot of time cleaning up powdered sugar.
"It's going to be okay, Maggie. I know you didn't mean to. I'll help you clean it up." Pause. "You know, it's actually kind of funny."
At that last reassurance, Maggie's tear-stained face popped up and a slow smile began to spread, "It is?" she said uncertainly.
I nodded. "It is. We all have spills like this once in a while."
"Did you spill powdered sugar everywhere when you were a kid trying to help your mom? It made me really happy when you said it was 'kind of funny.'"
Just like that, we were back to normal and I was again to deemed the "best mom ever." I deserved it. It really did take a long time to clean up that powdery white stuff.
Unfortunately, I am also often determined to be "not the best/nicest mom ever anymore." And I deserve that too. It's hard to live up to my reputation all the time.
Today, I wasn't the best. I yelled a couple times. (I did apologize, but why can't we let sleeping babies wake on their own around here, for crying out loud?) The house was a mess all day. Dinner wasn't even started when Mike got home. (Does it make it better I had a plan and it was yummy and fast?)
I wasn't the worst either. I painted some nails. Helped the girls ride their bikes. Did some dishes and laundry and vacuuming. Thankfully, no powdered sugar clean-ups. That would have sent me over the edge.
In my defense, my allergies are acting up, I am really tired, and I think I may have swimmer's ear.
So, the verdict is still out. I am choosing to remember the powdered sugar incident and am feeling pretty good about myself, since, at least sometimes, I'm "the best mom ever."
5 comments:
I feel a little creepy for commenting on your blog because I don't even remember how I found it, but this is your mom's friend's daughter Brooke, and I had to comment because this story is adorable. Even the best moms have bad days, you are the best mom! And your girls are so sweet.
I love reading your blog Sarah. I really do honestly think you are such a great momma. I wish we lived closer to each other and I could see you and your cute girls once in a while.:)
I love love love this post. :) you're the best, couz.
This is so great! It's always nice when we actually handle a situation how we would want to! You are such a great mom, and an inspiration to me.
L-o-v-e this post! Beautifully written and so very true. It is a perfect essay on motherhood. Great job Sarah--you're the best mom ever!
Post a Comment