Tuesday, September 27, 2011

At It Again



Two weeks ago, I impulsively decided to go ahead and give potty-training a go with Kate, who has been showing some interest and signs of readiness the past couple months (few diapers, dry through the night, interest in panties, went on the potty once or twice, that kind of thing). I was kind of nervous, as she is only twenty-one months, and I didn't want to push her too much. But I figured might as well try it. It was either now or not for six months, because after the baby is here I am sure I will be too overwhelmed to try until the spring.

I used the same method as with Maggie. Sticking her in underwear, playing in the kitchen or bathroom all day for a couple days (hard floors are easier to clean up), giving her lots of liquids and stuff, and rushing her to the potty anytime she had to go. We'd clean up messes together and practice what to do if you have to go, reiterating where to go. And just at the end of the second day, when I was starting to get discouraged, she got it! (I learned from potty-training Maggie not to have her say "Oh no! Pee-pee, Mama!!" So she simply requests "potty" instead.) Now I just hope it sticks. We had a great week last week, with only one accident, but we had a couple at the beginning of this week. Still I think we are on to something. Another cha-ching for the college fund...though it may be Mike's grad school fund instead...haha. :)

Kate is so proud of wearing "pan-ies," just like big sis. We got her "kitty" ones (as in Hello Kitty), to add to the collection of Elmo and Princess underwear. (Maggie has "kitty" ones too, so it was necessary.)

And hopefully, we'll be diaper-free around here for a month! Definitely worth a few exhausting days.

No comments: