Unfortunately, I hadn't read the end note on the article so I didn't get it. Hope you do. It's good to have a husband who keeps the sportscasters on their toes. ;)
Another recent news item worthy of note: Mike found out he was accepted to the University of Kansas Masters of Public Administration work-study program! So, that's exciting/scary. I think he's worried about not having as much time to spend with us girls between work, his Young Men's assignment, and now school. But he's good at organizing his time, so I'm not too concerned. Maybe I should be?
Father's Day turned out well...in the end. It started when Kate woke up at 5:30 screaming/crying--for her very abnormal. This woke up me (of course), Mike (poor guy), and Maggie (who could not fall back asleep). I was feeling less than chipper. I woke up with a scratchy throat and headache thinking, "Why does today have to be Father's Day?" For the past two weeks, it seems I have been dragging a little, I think because Kate had some nighttime wake-ups and, since she and Maggie have spoiled me, I wasn't used to them and never managed to catch up. But after tossing and turning a while with Kate in my bed and Maggie tossing and turning in her crib listening to "her songs" I got up and went out to the living room with the girls and finally started to come alive. Still, when Mike came out close to 10am (we have late church) the strawberry-cream cheese

braid was still on the rise, the living room already had toys strewn about, and our Father's Day card was half-done on the table. And I was trying to finish some cupcakes for my little Sunday School class--not remembering it would be Father's Day, I had promised to bring cupcakes to celebrate some birthdays. In all, Father's Day morning was not exactly as I pictured it.I was a little frustrated at first. If only I hadn't been so tired, either the night before or early in the morning I would have done more. See I have these visions of the house always being perfect on every holiday: breakfast steaming on the table, dinner prepped and dessert done, homemade presents and cards ready, wrapped, and waiting to be enjoyed. This has happened a few times, but more of the time it has not. And I guess that's okay, because our holidays have all been pretty good, despite not always living up to my big plans. But my plans really are always AMAZING, I must say. No one can plan like I can.
At least our Sunday roast was started, the bread was done for dinner, and we had a Father's Day present. It could have been worse. Actually, it was good. Really good. And the rest of the day was wonderful. Church was good, the food was good, the card got done and with the presents were well-received, Mike and I had several nice hours alone while the girls recovered from their 5:30 wake-up with a long nap. It was good (that's the theme if you can't tell). I just wish I could have made dinner for my own Dad too. And maybe my wonderful father-in-law as well. They are pretty great.
I love Mike so much. I really am glad I'm married to him, and not just because he's chummy with Greg Wrubell of BYU Radio (though I'm probably not supposed to tell anyone he periodically sends off sports-related emails to sports news anchors). Mike's still as fun to talk and dream with as he was when we were dating. Probably more so. And he's such a good dad. Maggie just adores him and Kate grins like she does too (of course, she's usually grinning...except when Mike's wonderful parents got stuck babysitting her on a fussy evening last week...darn...at least the Chamber of Commerce dinner had fabulous free food AND we won our centerpiece--a stuffed lion and children's toy doctor kit!--so I wasn't too sorry I went with Mike :/ ).
And Mike loves his girls right back. I love the way he always calls me over to see cute things they are doing and admires adequately when I do the same to him. I love hearing him sing with Maggie as he rocks her at bedtime or watching him sing and play with her at the piano. I love how he gets down to play with the girls when he comes home at lunch.
I have one terrific dad, so I'm glad my girls have one just as good.
And somehow, Monday I woke up refreshed. So we're having a good week.
3 comments:
Sorry Father's Day didn't turn out the way you had dreamed...mine was sorta similar so I know what you mean!
Summer 2010 has been a fantastical idea that is now going to be "Summer 2011." A new house and Ella have put our cross country road trip on hold for a year--can I get a raincheck?
Ohhh...and I can't wait to make that Cafe Rio recipe--miss that place!
Just remember, It's the thought that counts.
Post a Comment