Growing up, the Easter Bunny usually came on a day other than Easter Sunday, usually the Saturday before, so as to keep Sunday focused on the Savior and the reason we celebrate. So, following tradition, our Easter Bunny came, filled the baskets, and hid eggs before the girls woke on Saturday. Maggie was thrilled! There were several small trinkets for each of the girls--all inexpensive impulse buys I had made myself stash away for a rainy day--(board book, animal puppet, bug car, little watering cans, and Maggie's first Strawberry Shortcake doll), Little Debbie Easter Cakes, and a few eggs filled with Lucky Charms (I stole the idea of putting cereal in the eggs from my friend--thanks J!--I think we will make it a tradition). I thought the Easter Bunny should lighten up on candy this year. And also, I hadn't bought any. So, we got some half-price on Monday. And I ate most of it. Maybe we will start celebrating after the big day, because sale candy is just as good as full-price. (And I know I am making strides because although I was tempted to run out to the store late on Friday night to buy candy, I did not.)
I'm also trying to make it a tradition to give the girls something "church-y" each Easter, something quiet for the church bag or that they could play with on Sunday afternoons. Last year we got Maggie the scripture readers from Church Distribution. This year, I made a Gospel ABC book (A is for Atonement, B is for Baptism...) and put together a little coloring book with printouts from the Friend magazine's online archives (the Friend is a church magazine for children). I stopped short of staying up all night to make a magnetic set of church figures from old magnets and a little magnetic whiteboard. This took willpower.
Without further ado:
Maggie on an egg hunt
Goody #2: General Conference!!!
Twice a year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a worldwide church meeting broadcast from church headquarters in Salt Lake. Leaders of our church speak about various gospel topics. This year, Conference happened to fall on Easter weekend. I LOVE this time of year. I love the feeling of knowing that all over the world there are church members like me united as we gather together to listen to inspired counsel. I love the music. I love the talks. And I love the inevitable inspiration I receive for my own life. This year there were several messages that really stood out to me: "And upon the Handmaids in Those Days I Will Pour Out My Spirit" by Julie B. Beck, "Mothers and Daughters" by M. Russell Ballard, and "Mothers Teaching Children in the Home" by L. Tom Perry. I hyperlinked the texts of these talks to their titles OR you can read, listen or watch any of the General Conference talks HERE.
I especially love this quote by Sister Beck:
"A good woman knows that she does not have enough time, energy, or opportunity to take care of all of the people or do all of the worthy things her heart yearns to do. Life is not calm for most women, and each day seems to require the accomplishment of a million things, most of which are important...But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently."
There is hope for us over-achievers! (Aren't most of us deep down?) Through prayer and personal revelation our Heavenly Father will help us so we can manage our lives instead of letting our lives manage us. :)
We were lucky enough to spend Easter with Mike's parents. Even though we didn't have to go anywhere, I still had to dress up the girls. I have always dreamed of having little girls in matching dresses (probably ever since I was a little girl and my mom put my sisters and me in matching dresses).
dreams realized
I couldn't get a very good shot of the girls together, so I had to settle for these. When almost-two-year-olds aren't in the mood to pose, they aren't going to pose. End of story. So forget about a family shot. :)
5 comments:
I have to say that discount/half-price candy actually tastes BETTER than full-price candy. I want to the store Monday, too, and got the good stuff (for me, of course).
I love being able to read the little things/big things happening in your life. And your entries are always such a wonderful blend of fun and uplifting. You make me smile.
I love your girls' matching dresses! I think those must be the "hot" colors of the season because I saw 2 different families at church yesterday with their kids dressed in that exact color combination. I love th bright and springy colors! Your girls are adorable!
I love the dresses! Where did you get those? I think Maggie is sooooooo cute, I loved the egg hunt video. I can't believe Kate is over four months now. Emmy is three months this week. It is crazy how fast they grow! WOW! I love your comments, thanks for being such a great friend and staying in touch with me. I miss you!
So cute. I love your cute little girls! Sounds like you had a really nice Easter weekend.
Post a Comment