Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Whirlwind Vacation (Part 2)

We had a good weekend here. Saturday, Mike's brother's family came over and we went to the pool and then barbequed. It was a good summer day. Sunday, we went to church and it was good to see my little eleven-year-old class again and everyone else there. Then yesterday was probably my first productive day since being back from vacation. Maggie and I walked to the local MOMS club meeting and then took the car to the church for some volleyball. While Maggie napped I tidied up the house and even after she woke up, I managed to stay on the ball and cleaned the kitchen and had dinner ready by the time Mike walked in. The problem is I usually have trouble STAYING productive throughout the week. We'll see if this week is an exception, as I have a long list of things I'd like to accomplish.

Anyway, back to the vacay....

5. When we got back to Jersey from NY, we had a day of recovery before our next adventure. I had a little (and I mean LITTLE) time to spend with the cousins, Grandma Wanlass (sadly I got no picture), and my siblings there before we were off again.

Lizzy, Lauren, Emily, me, Mags, and Cat

6. My mom, Rachel, Maggie, and I went to Virginia the next couple days to visit my Grandma Mayse. She lives with my aunt there, but is in a nursing home for the next couple weeks as my aunt is out of town and my grandmother's health is declining. It was wonderful to see her, but also hard. She has always been such a strong and independent person and it's hard to see her in pain, both physical and emotional. She has developed cancer in her throat that has spread and we don't know how much longer she'll be with us. I was grateful to be able to see her with little Maggie and she really seemed happy to see us as well.

Rachel, Mom, Grandma, Maggie, me

7. On a silly note, this sign on the outside of the nursing home door made me laugh. I guess they felt it needed to be said. It also reminded me of Kansas, where this icon is displayed (without the long caption) on the door of every public building, including schools, libraries, and city halls. I couldn't believe it when we first moved here.


I just hope they also restrict unconcealed deadly weapons. I didn't feel that was made clear.

Another thing we saw on our trip that made me laugh was this:


My mom and I thought of many possible explanations: parents just couldn't handle the kid screaming in the car one more minute, a good threat to have up their sleeve, the ultimate time out, cure for jaudiced toddler, just didn't have enough seats inside. Maybe you have another one?

The funny thing that happened when my dad and I were driving to New York that I forgot to mention is that we hear several pebbles hit our car. Finally we realized some dude was spitting spitballs at other cars from his jeep. And I'm not talking some teenager, this guy was probably near thirty! I can honestly say that was the first time I have ever been spitballed on the highway.

8. Saturday, we visited Storybook Land, a small theme park geared toward young children. Maggie and Rachel had a blast, as did we all. The first time around on the carousel, Maggie looked at me like what are you doing to me when it first started, but then she started smiling and after that she liked almost every ride. I say almost because she was not very happy with me on the Tilt-a-Whirl. She buried her head in my leg most of the ride. But everything else we tried she seemed to enjoy.

Me and Maggie on the car ride
Group shot: Cat, Lizzy, me, Maggie, Rachel, Becca, Mom
(note what Maggie is doing to Rachel--you'll have to look close)

9. While we were in Jersey, Maggie also was privileged to attend nursery at church with the older set. She still has four months to go until she can start going on her own, but the nursery at my parents' church needed some extra help so I volunteered to help and Maggie went with me. She fit right in.


10. Before we left the coast we had to get in a quick trip to the ocean. Due to stormy weather during much of our trip, we were unable to get in a full day, but we spent one evening in Ocean City, which was just enough to whet the appetite. Maggie LOVED the beach. She loved walking in the sand. Then we waded in to the water a little and she kept trying to sit down in the ocean. Since we didn't have a lot of time, I didn't feel like bothering with her swimsuit, but stripped her down to her diaper so she could get as wet as she liked. She loved the feeling of the waves rushing past her fingers and kept dipping her hands in the water and putting them up to wet her hair. When it was time to head back to the boardwalk, she kept turning around to try to walk back to the water.
The group minus Dad: Remy (French exchange student), Matt, Maggie, Rachel, me, Mom

Maggie loving the beach

Wrapped in a souvenir towel from her loving Granddaddy and Grandmommy

Yummy boardwalk fries

Being carried up to bed after our fun day by Grandpa
(she was sleeping until I took this picture)

Thanks for getting us there Mom and Dad!! We had a blast and can't wait to go back! We'll have to rent a beach house there for a big family vacation someday. :)

11. Before we left, we had to squeeze in a trip to Soupy Island also known as Sanitarium Playgrounds. I heard about it for the first time this summer: it is a free park with playgrounds, carousel, pools, basketball, and volleyball court in rural New Jersey and a well kept secret. It has been around for a long time, originally built to serve inner city children from Philly and Camden to give them a place to play and get some soup (what else). It is only fifteen minutes from my parents and open Tuesday through Thursday and is now operated by Campbell's. And yes, the goofy nickname is still appropriate: they still give out free soup to anyone there at lunch time.


12. The exchange students staying with my family this summer, Remy (from France) and Luis (from Spain), were leaving about the same time as Maggie and I. It was nice to get to know them too.

Remy, Matt, Mom, Cat, Luis

13. Saying good-bye to my family was rough. I wish I lived closer or that they did, but at least we live in a day where travel is relatively easy. At least we've cut the flight in half compared to when we lived in Utah.

I had to say good-bye twice though as our plane was delayed five hours. It was scheduled to leave at 8pm and didn't leave until 12:15am! My mom and Rachel were sweet to come back to the airport to hang with me and Maggie. Maggie and I came back through security to meet them and they entertained a tired Maggie with moving sidewalk rides and books so I wasn't stuck alone with a fussy baby.


As soon as I went through security for the second time when it was getting closer to actual boarding, Maggie was out like a light. She continued to sleep on my lap the entire flight home, which wasn't the most comfortable for me, especially pregnant, but mostly a relief.


We were both glad to see Mike waiting on the other side to take us home!!


And if you got through that, congratulations! You either really love us or have some time to kill. :)

No comments: