Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Mike!!

Well, we watched our movers pack and load up our stuff Thursday and Friday, then finished cleaning our little apartment and handed in the keys. We spend the next few days here with the Cluffs and then head to our new home. Crazy...

Then today was Mike's 25th birthday! We celebrated the day with a lovely lunch at Macaroni Grill, the BYU Basketball Game, and ice cream. Anyone who knows Mike, knows that a basketball game is just about his favorite way to celebrate, especially when we win against Utah! Go Cougars!! We happened to be sitting in a section with a lot of Utah fans who were being rather rude and obnoxious and I must admit it did feel good to win and let our victory speak for itself. Some even slunk home early. Here are Mike and Maggie with the winning scoreboard (Maggie is just mad that Utah thought they had a chance. :) ).


I feel kind of lame. I didn't do much to make Mike's day special since we are in the middle of a move and all. Maggie and I gave him his birthday present early, so we could pack it. Since now he will be the man of the house rather than the man of the apartment, we thought it was high-time he got his own power drill. Here he is with it:
It's cordless and came with a tool set and picture hanging kit, which I am certain will come in very handy in our new house. We also got him a new blue-and-yellow tie that we gave him today, which came in handy since he forgot to pack one before all of his got put in boxes. Hopefully I can get him to pose for a picture tomorrow.
It was fun to spend the day with him and it's even funner (I know that's not a word, but it's just so fitting) to have spent the last three years of my life with him and look forward to many more to come. There are so many reasons I think he's wonderful and Maggie and I are lucky to have him. In honor of the day, here are twenty-five things I love about Mike:

1. He is a doting father to Maggie and hurries to give her a kiss every day when he gets home.
2. He took me to the Nutcracker (yes, the ballet) for our anniversary and even seemed to enjoy it!
3. He changes diapers.
4. He plays me songs on the piano.
5. He starts jumping up and down really fast when he is excited about how a game is going (like today against Utah).
6. He makes a really cute face when he gets embarrased (he tucks his chin in and his lip out).
7. He doesn't need or seek recognition for his many accomplishments and abilities.
8. He works hard to support Maggie and me in style.
9. He is extremely dependable--I always know I can count on him, it's one of the reasons I fell in love with him.
10. When I was pregnant and teaching last year, he often had dinner waiting for me when I came home tired and hungry, though he had just finished a long day at work himself. He also makes breakfast for me most Saturdays, including today on his birthday!
11. He was a wonderful girls' football coach and led our lowest-seeded team to be intramural champs!
12. He has a great smile, especially when singing Perry Como's "Magic Moments" or Atlantic Starr's "Masterpiece" in the car.
13. He is great on the grill.
14. He is always willing to give me a backrub, especially when I've had a hard day.
15. He loves to surprise me and always scores well on birthdays and Christmas--he is hard to out-do!
16. (Along with the last) He pays attention to my needs and wants and stores them for future reference.
17. He is loyal to friends, family, and especially sports teams: He has followed the Royals since he was a small boy, only now he listens to games on the internet while he works, instead of on the radio while in bed where he is supposed to be sleeping.
18. He has good taste in music and has introduced me to lots of great songs (beginning with the first cd he made me "Songs to Daydream About Mike To" back when we first started dating).
19. He is a self-proclaimed "day person" (this means he likes neither to stay up late nor get up early).
20. He is better with electronics than I am and takes care of setting up tvs, computers, VCRs, and the like.
21. He takes care of Maggie's bath at night and helps her get ready on Sunday.
22. He has a great sense of humor and can always make me (and most people) laugh.
23. He has a strong attachment to his sky-blue Buick Skylark and his Classy radio station that broadcasts out of Manti (we will miss both in Kansas).
24. He loves me and shows it in the way he treats me.
25. He has a strong testimony and leads our family in love and righteousness.

Thanks for being so wonderful Mike! I love you, Birthday Boy!!!

1 comment:

Glenn and Natalie said...

I'm glad that Mike is so wonderful--he needs to be to deserve such a fantastic wife!
Good luck with the move, and getting settled in YOUR new home! Congratulations!